Select Page


Apostille information in Japan


Designated competent authority(ies) to issue an apostille in Japan:

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo

When do you need an apostille ?

An authentication / apostille will be required when you need to submit Japanese official documents for various procedures (such as marriage, divorce, birth registration, visa application, incorporation or real estate purchase) in foreign countries and when its relevant agency asked you to obtain a certification from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

An apostille will be accepted only by signatory countries of the Hague Convention. In the destination country, it can be used as a certification equivalent to legalisation by the Embassy / Consulate (-General) of the destination country in Japan.

  • Even if the destination country is a signatory to the Hague Convention (Apostille Convention), legalisation may be required in some cases. In such cases, an authentication should be necessary. Please check with the destination agency or the Embassy / Consulate of the destination country in Japan prior to submission.
  • All certifications submitted to non-signatory countries of the Hague Convention should be an authentication.

Application Procedure Guide


Kasumigaseki 2-2-1
TOKYO 100-8919 


+81 (3) 3580-3311


General Website


Useful Links

Do you need help processing an apostille for a document issued in Japan?

Here you will find a list of recommended apostille service providers in Japan.

Apostille service provider 1

Service contact

Apostille service provider 2

Service contact